Serving the Lord, helping the kids, and spending the last third of my life working my way back to the place where I can hang with the boy.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Winning isn't Everything - Sometimes it's the Confusing Thing

After breakfast this morning Loretta and I walked to the little market that popped up in a parking lot a few blocks from here. Early on it was "Quanto Questa", "Cinquenta", "OK".

That was the south end. That was the beginning. That was before it changed.

The "Blog worthy" negotiation went like this:

Little Man "Very nice. Good quality. See picture? Very nice picture"
Loretta "Quanto Questa"
Little Man "Cinquenta"
Loretta "No!" (insert pause while the little man gets the stink eye) "Quanto Questa"
Little Man "Quarenta e cinco?"
Loretta "No. Mas daspico!"
The Little Man just shrugs.
Loretta "Vente"
The little man looks shocked. "Vente? Good quality. Worth more. Quarenta nenhum menos."
Loretta "No. Vente e cinco."
Little Man "25 is not enough." He holds up 4 fingers. "Quarenta"
Loretta goes right back into the ole stink eye and lets the tention build. The little man caves.
Little Man "Trienta e cinco" he crosses his arms across his chest and his jaw comes out as his face goes stone cold"
Loretta "Vente e cinco. No mas"
(insert long awkward silence here)
Little Man "Trienta?"
Loretta "No mas. Mas Dispacio. Vente e cinco"

The little man hangs his head and with a sad look quietly says "Sem" as he digs for a plastic bag. Loretta spins on her heel and starts to march away. I grab her by the back of her shirt. "Where are you going?" I ask. "Maybe someone else has one..."

"You won. It's over" I explan.

Loretta comes back, hands the guy 25 Reais and he gives her the beach blanket. The exchange obligodo and it's over.

As we walk away Loretta confides in me "I feel terrible! The little man looked so sad..."

Apparently the feeling didn't last because a short time later I realized a new baby shark had been born.

No comments: