Serving the Lord, helping the kids, and spending the last third of my life working my way back to the place where I can hang with the boy.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Top 10 Experiences that Shaped Me (#10 - Celtics #17)

If you read #2 above, you know that when I was a young whipper snapper I told my dad that I would one day climb devils tower. He told me it wasn't going to happen and about a decade later I proved him wrong.

My kid (the male of the species) was always crazy into sports. At some point in his youth someone asked him what he was going to be when he grew up and he explained that when he grew up he was going to be in the NBA.

Being a practical parent I explained the odds of such a thing and gave him all the reasons why it just wouldn't happen.

About a decade later I took this picture:


The picture was taken at the Celtics team party after game 6 where the Celtics won their 17th national championship. I watched the NBA final from a seat I never would have gotten and attended the after party in a the part of the stadum where I wouldn't have been allowed to go if my son had not just earned this ring:



Besides being a refresher in the lesson that taught me that there are no limits beyond those that are self imposed, I learned that you can get older and slow down a bit but continue to collect experiences through your children. There's a massive pay off in that. Very nice indeed


No comments: