Serving the Lord, helping the kids, and spending the last third of my life working my way back to the place where I can hang with the boy.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

My Grandkids Will Speak Chinese (or Hindi)

We decided to go to see the Transformers movie (it's a 20 minute movie that they run in a loop for three and a half hours). On the way there we stopped at Walgreens. I made my purchase selections, went to the check out register, and the young girl behind the counter informed me that $2.70 was due to complete the transaction. I handed her a five.

After forfeiting the bill my hand dropped to my side and I felt change in my pocket. I reached inside and found the appropriate coins, pulled them out and announced "I have 70 cents!".

"I'm sorry, it's too late" the young lady responded. I've already put five dollars in the computer. I dropped the coins on the counter and said "Ah! But this way you can give me three singles".

A bit perplexed she looked at the register, turned to give me a "Oh you poor, stupid man" gaze, and pointed at the digital read out.

"I can only give you two dollars and thirty cents".

"Well, if you take these two quarters and these two dimes" I said as I picked up the coins and offered them to her "you could give me three one dollar bills and I would have something I could fold in my pocket".

"That won't work. You should have told me earlier. The computer knows you gave me five dollars and it says I have to give you two dollars and thirty cents".

I can't write anymore. The memory is just too painful.

No comments: