Serving the Lord, helping the kids, and spending the last third of my life working my way back to the place where I can hang with the boy.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day Six - Brazilian Casual

The title couldn't possibly represent the panic I felt. It was dark. My feet were contorted into a shape that most resembled an upside down "U". The top of my head was pressed against a hard wooden surface and my left arm had no feeling and wouldn't respond when I tried to lift it.

That was scary - but not scary enough for panic.

Swinging my shoulders I got my arm to flop into a new position. I lifted my knees which eased the pressure on my head and allowed my feet to asume the letter "L" (much better than "U"). I paused and concentrated -- yes, it was still there (and my panic grew)

As my brain began to function better I rolled to the left. My feet returned to a human shape and my head could even be described as comfortable but the panic did not reside becasue it was still there. My environment was pitch black but I was fully concious and the presence was unmistakable. I wanted to scream but I focused every ounce of my dicipline and restrained myself. Perhaps screaming would still be inappropriate. I concentrated again.

I was right. There was no mistaking it. It was everywhere and now I knew is wasn't a dream.

Silence.

My hotel room was quiet.

My mind was racing. "What have they done with my sister? She can't be here sleeping, the silence proves it..."

Meanwhile, unknown to me because of the dark, Loretta was a scant 2 meters away in the other bed. Two thirds of the fancy Marriott pillow was in her mouth and she was happily dreaming that she was eating a giant marshmello. Unfortunately there was no way I could have known what was really happening.

I jumped to my feet to investigate just as a giant "Pauaguah!" sound erupted from the darkness. A soggy pillow hit my feet and a diesel engine started to idle in the darkness.

All was well in Brazil. I climbed back in my tiny bed and went back to sleep.

A few hours later day 6 continued with the standard morning ritual of showers, breakfast and waiting for the kids. When they got here we packed up and headed for the beach.

First Cassandra went in and played with the waves, then she came out. We got some pictures of her in the waves.

Next I went in, played with the waves some


After I got done we all sat on the beach for a while (I read my book). Eventually Shane picked up the boogie board and went in to play with it a bit.

Shane seemed to have quite a knack for the sport and typically when he rode the board he ended up completely leaving the ocean and sitting out in the sand near the volleyball court.


After 3 hour (or so) on the beach we cleaned up, loaded the pictue of the day, and headed for town where we ate our last meal of Brazilian BBQ.

It was supposed to rain all day today but we got lucky and we had a good result.

No comments: