Serving the Lord, helping the kids, and spending the last third of my life working my way back to the place where I can hang with the boy.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

What if it's Unlimited Golf?

I'm sure you find yourself spending hours pondering how you would solve the following problem:

What would I do to maximize my minature golf time if I found myself in an "unlimited games" situation without notice?

It's obvious that one must ponder (and solve) this problem prior to an event where one is faced with an actual "as many rounds as you want" situation. Failure to do so would find you unprepared to deal with the situation, should it happen in real life.

Here's how you do it.

Each hole offers you two strokes or less. If you finish the hole in two strokes or less you don't get a point. If you hit the ball twice and it isn't in the hole yet, you pick it up (and take a point).

It's fast and it doesn't require a score card! This will maximize your total hole count while minimizing the required time.

...and for those of you who like to spice it up a little...

Here's a nice revision rule. Everyone hits once and then everyone goes again (i.e. take turns). Standard rules of golf apply as far as the tee off order (because going first is a disadvantage as you'll soon see).

Here's the fun part. If you hit someone else's ball your stroke doesn't count and you take another shot right away. It puts a bit-o-the croquet strategy in the game (and makes it possible to get a hole in zero which almost certainly puts you first in the next tee box).

No comments: