Serving the Lord, helping the kids, and spending the last third of my life working my way back to the place where I can hang with the boy.

Friday, July 2, 2010

This Time I'll Take Responsibility

My mother loves to tell a story about when I was a wee little sprout. I don't remember it so I can only repeat it as hear-say.
Apparently I came home from school with a big chunk of my hair cut away. She asked me who cut my hair and I insisted I didn't know. After an appropriate amount of time sweating a true confession out of me I admitted that I was sitting sitting in a room when someone I didn't know ran into the room, cut a chunk out of my hair, and ran away.

As I understand the story, I never copped to the fact that perhaps I had something to do with the hair cut.

Now move forward with me, if you will, 40 or 45 years. You get to today and today I will stand in judgement taking full responsibility. Before I tell you all of it, let me give you some background.

Over the years the cost of a haircut has been steadily rising. I used to pay just under two dollars in my earliest memories. These days a haircut is a $15 or $20 deal. Even more if you want a "good" one.

Probably 5 or 6 months ago we were at Target and I noticed you could buy a set of barber clippers for $20. I remember thinking "Hey, that's about the price of a haircut" so I purchased a set.

My thinking was that if I had Michelle cut my hair every other time I could cover the cost of the clippers in less than two months.

My thinking was sound. As it turned out, I have learned I could have Michelle trim the hair up two times between "Real" haircuts and nobody would notice. I was at a point of getting a "real" haircut about every 3rd month.

Now it's July in Texas and July in Texas is HOT. I decided I needed a short haircut and with Tina's wedding behind us I really don't have any "public" times for months. I have been pondering an experiment where I put on the biggest guard (#9) and just do a buzz cut. How would that work?

Michelle has been hesitant and here I was are a full week from the time we were on the beach in Boston with Ajax and Tiki and my hair was too long and too hot.

So...

I took the clippers out in the back yard, took off my shirt, closed my eyes and 4 minutes (and another $20 saved) later I was in the shower getting rid the short pieces that might make me itch.

Here's what I did...

No comments: