Serving the Lord, helping the kids, and spending the last third of my life working my way back to the place where I can hang with the boy.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Doggie Respect?

By now most of you know Tia died earlier this week.


Day before yesterday I grabbed Tia's bed from our bedroom and moved it into my office (because Michelle had taken the old one out and washed it). Prior to Monday - this was my babysitting status:


So Tia died and I moved the bed. Every day since Maggie (the one on the left looking at us with Satan's gaze) comes over for dogie day care but the routine is changed. Now, instead of coming into the office and crashing with Tia (I assume they do it so they can keep an eye on me and insure we won't bring yet ANOTHER dog here) she comes in for a quick interaction and leaves.

I hear her run around the house some and then it's quiet. When she's not outside I can find her in Tia's room (enclosed patio for you that aren't familiar) in the bed beside Tia's outside bed.

She doesn't hang out in the office with me anymore.

So that left me with two questions.

Was she hanging out with Tia while I had delusions of grandeur?

Would she rather be in here but was staying off Tia's bed out of respect for Tia's territory?

The second question is strange. Really strange (assuming you know Maggie).

Back in the day Maggie would take everything away from Tia. Her bed, her toys, her food and water. If Tia wanted to go to bed Maggie would literally block her access and if Tia tried to get by Maggie would beat the crap out of her. Really nasty beatings.

Over the last year or two, though, things have mellowed and the dogs had become quite good friends. Now if Tia is on the bed under my table (as in the picture above) Maggie would go somewhere else. Sometimes she would join Tia in bed (as in the above picture). Back in the day Maggie would ABSOLUTELY take the bed away from Tia and make her leave.

But she wouldn't get on the bed anymore. Wouldn't even sleep in my office. But why?

So...

Today (a few hours ago) I laid on the floor and called Maggie on to Tia's bed. She did the whole submissive thing (even peed on the floor a bit) but I kept insisting she come on the bed with me. Finally she did. I petted her and explained that Tia was dead and Maggie could sleep there now (like talking to a dog makes any sense). I scratched her a bit and then went back to work. Maggie got up and left the office.

You would think nothing changed but I just turned around and what did I see?


I have no idea. You tell me.

No comments: