Serving the Lord, helping the kids, and spending the last third of my life working my way back to the place where I can hang with the boy.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

I knew it was coming, (part 1)

You have two dogs living together you're going to have a fight. Watching Newbie I was confident it was coming...and it came.

It as a bit different than I thought. The puppy was in Maggie's face, barking up a storm. Maggie's tail was wagging and suddenly Newbie more or less jumped on Maggie's back. Apparently that was too much and it was on.

Michelle was in the middle of it (she as actually petting Maggie when it started). She grabbed Maggie and pulled her off but couldn't seem to stop the ruckus.

I jumped from my chair, grabbed Newbie, and stopped the fight ... for about a nanosecond. Before I knew it Newbie squirmed free, hit the floor and took a flying leap right back onto Maggie's back growling, barking and biting.

I reacquired control, took a couple of steps and put Newbie on his back in a submissive position. I got in his face, showed my teeth and scolded the dog then held him until his heart rate slowed down.

Newbie went to time out and we praised Maggie (who never got a hold of Newbie - not sure if that was Maggie's choice or not).

Now I know Newbie is much more aggressive than Tia and have no doubt that a point in time is coming where Maggie will have to teach the puppy about how the world really works.

It's unfortunate. I hope we can postpone it until a time when the vet office is open.

No comments: