Serving the Lord, helping the kids, and spending the last third of my life working my way back to the place where I can hang with the boy.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Thousand Isn't Enough


I have to admit, I struggle some to reach the end when we do the Bike MS ride each year.  With the exception of the crazy biker athlete people who knock the 84 mile first day ride off in two or three hours and are home for lunch, it's a bit of a challenge for all of us.

During the 10 hours that I was on the course this year I had conversations with a number of people around why we do the ride.  There are plenty of stories about why people want to do this ride.  I want to tell you about the one that impresses me the most.

The picture is of my wife, and this is her story (as told by me).

Michelle was diagnosed with MS around 17 or 18 years ago.  Around a decade later I decided to start riding the MS-150 and our team captain talked Michelle into riding too.  The first year I rode the whole thing but each year after that I always rode with Michelle.  When she couldn't go any farther we would stop.

In the early years we typically made it the 20 miles to rest stop 2.  Two years ago we went 10 more miles to rest stop three and last year she made it all the way to the lunch stop, 43 miles away, and then broke 50 for the day when we rode the last 7 miles and crossed the finish line.

In the beginning Michelle had a bike with an electric motor on it to help her get up the hills.  A few years back she decided she didn't want the extra help and started riding Mandy's old touring bike.  Last year we got her a nice lightweight Trek bike and every year she goes farther.

This year was a milestone.  The CFO from the company where she works asked her how far she went last year and then told her he would donate an extra $100 if she would ride more than 60 miles this year.  No request for a committment, just an offer.

She made to lunch again then she and Mandy sagged forward to a rest stop far enough out to allow her to achieve the 60 mile goal. 

By that point in the day the wind was over 20 and the temp was over 100.  Heat exacerbates MS symptoms and it was hot enough that day that Michelle's legs weren't working correctly.  It was time for her to stop but her heart was set on that promise to donate an extra $100 if she broke 60 miles.  Michelle decided she was going to get that money for the MS Society and Mandy couldn't talk her out of it.

The final 9 miles took them the better part of 2 hours.  They would ride a couple of miles until Michelle just couldn't go any farther, Mandy would talk to her about quitting, Michelle would refuse so Mandy would pour ice water on her head and spine which calmed the MS lesions down enough that Michelle could go another couple of miles.

Finally a little after 5 PM my wife and daughter straggled across the finish line (and Michelle collapsed again before she could make it to the team tent.

We all work hard to ride the distance but I now see that there is no real sacrifice in that.  Not once during my effort did I need ice water on my brain and spinal cord.

No comments: