Serving the Lord, helping the kids, and spending the last third of my life working my way back to the place where I can hang with the boy.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Education

Today's lesson, girls and boys, is about education. Not education in general, it's more like when your mom used to ask you what you learned when you came home from school each day. Today I learned 4 things.



Thing Number 1)

Previously, I learned that when you need to remove 56 years worth of rust from an old Chevy pickup frame, a tool like this makes the job go much faster. Today I learned that you REALLY want to keep your fingers out of this tool when it is running.





Thing Number 2)

A year and a half ago when I built the shop I purchased a first aid kit and hung it on the wall in there. It was somewhat ironical that Monday (that would be the day before yesterday) I was doing some cleaning, noticed the first aid kit hanging there and had a moment of reflection when I pondered what might be inside the kit and whether it would ever get used. Today I learned what the inside of the kit looked like (it looked like this and had everything I needed)


Thing Number 3)



This is actually a self portrait showing the front of my shirt. It is cropped so you can see the little spears of wire sticking out of me. I already knew the spinning wire wheel does that to you. Today I learned that so many are hitting you that you might not notice one that sticks in your head just below your hair line (but someone at McDonnalds will tell you about it when you stop in to get your lunch)

Thing Number 4)

My fourth and final thing I learned today is that this (another self portrait)...

...is not enough protection (although it seems like a lot - look, I even have ear plugs for the noise). I now wear leather gloves too!

2 comments:

Bz0tc3 said...

I guess you're finding out that you actually do become wiser with age (if you pay attention). Welcome to advancing geezerhood.

VacaSanto said...

Perhaps but for me, no grey hair yet so maybe I'm not so wise after all.