Serving the Lord, helping the kids, and spending the last third of my life working my way back to the place where I can hang with the boy.

Friday, January 28, 2011

The Manna Effect

I have this gas BBQ. The bottle has been empty for a number of months now.

As I lit the grill to make some meat (I probably do that 2 or 3 times a week) I had the same thought I always have.

"Those flames are tiny - that gas bottle is going to shut me down before the steaks are done and I'll have to finish on the George Foreman grill".

Then I turn on a 2nd burner, wait for 350 degrees, and cook my meat. When I get done I turn it all off and say to myself "I pulled it off one last time. I'll never get through it again, not with this bottle of gas I won't".

It occurred to me tonight that there is something magical about that "last dose". Have you ever had the Manna toothpaste tube? It's been empty for months and every day you squeeze out the absolute last little dab of paste ... then the next day it happens again?

Same thing with shampoo bottles. It's been empty for as long as you can remember. It's been upside down in the shower for months. Every time you pick it up you instantly know the bottle is empty because it weighs less than a bottle (probably filled with helium or something) - every time it squirts out a third of what you thought you needed, but that turns out to be just enough.

Corn starch box - same thing. Always empty. Always enough to make one more round of gravy.

So my question is this. Is this just a Christian thing? I'm a Christian and it works in my house. I get that when God introduced the concept of manna he did it for the Jewish folks when they were wondering around in the wilderness so I find myself wondering if they get a few extra months (or 40 years) of toothpaste from an empty tube. How about the Muslims? Prior to that whole Isaac Ishmael thing they had a connection - does that mean they get extra shampoo too?

Maybe it goes farther. God loves us all. Do we all get extra gas in our BBQ tanks?

Life seems to be a collection of so many things I just don't understand.

1 comment:

Mandy Hornbuckle said...

Yep. I had concealer like that.